Best thing to EVER come out of the typical work Christmas party...

by Kate 8. May 2015 23:30

Oh the annual work Christmas party.  Most people go just to show their face and then they discretely leave because no one truly wants to attend for more than an hour.  And initially this was our plan.  Go in, have a drink, say our hello's and leave.  When we got there I realized I didn't know ANYONE except Vincent and his parents.  And I had only met them a handful of times.  Yet that's a handful more than I had met all the others.  So of course I waltzed myself right over to a comfort zone.  I started chatting with his mom about where they were from, how long they've lived here, etc.  I finally found myself asking about Vincent and his condition.  She explained to me, very openly, which didn't make me feel like I was invasive to their privacy, that when she was pregnant with Vincent she and her husband were told during an ultrasound that his kidneys were dilated.  This meant that her amniotic fluid had to be kept at a very careful watch.

After many ultrasounds, 10 weeks prior to her due date Vincent was born via C-Section and kept in the NICU for 49 days.  Which means she brought home this tiny newborn 3 weeks before he was even technically due.  I was floored. My heart went out to her, being a mother myself, I couldn't imagine ever bringing home a child so early with these conditions.  She went on to explain to me that when he was born his condition was called Hydronephrosis, which translates into water in the kidneys.

Vincent has been on the deceased donor list for more than two years and has been so close to receiving just what he needs but hadn't ever found "the one."  By the end of this conversation I told her I'd be willing to be tested to see if I was a match, and quite frankly after hearing her story from a mother's standpoint, I couldn't wait to go see if I matched the first round of tests.  I knew that I was 110% dedicated to giving my kidney, whether I matched or not.  But I had this odd feeling that I found the person I had been looking forward to meeting ever since watching that Grey's Anatomy episode.  I don't know if she was as excited as I was; mind you, she's been through plenty of people "willing" to be tested and "willing" to donate, so I couldn't imagine her getting her hopes too high.  But by the end of that night I was on the edge of my seat waiting for her to text me the nurse's phone number.

And this is truly where our story begins...

Comments (5) -

Narcissistic Tendencies
Narcissistic Tendencies
5/9/2015 4:34:51 AM #

The classic narcissistic tendencies are a highly inflated sense of self, a display of confidence, omnipotence, and uniqueness, such as ‘I am better than everyone else’ which may seem to portray healthy self-belief, but is really a cover for a deeply damaged self-esteem.

Nancy Brooks
Nancy Brooks
5/9/2015 3:32:39 PM #

This blog is not about Kate being better than anyone else. It is her story of her own kidney donation in the hopes that she can inspire others to donate also. People do want to do heroic things, to be superheroes, so to speak. There is nothing wrong with that. Kate is not putting down anyone else in her story. She's just stating the facts: We had many, many people tell us that they would donate or that they would be tested, but the fact is that outside of my very own family only two people actually got tested. We love Kate and think that her story is worth telling, even if it means that she's subject to criticism like yours by exposing her experience and feelings to the public in this forum. --Sincerely, Vincent's mom

William Brooks
William Brooks
5/10/2015 7:45:21 AM #

Are you kidding me? This young lady is giving my son a start in life that he has never had in his 5 1/2 year life and you slam her for it? Either you are trolling or just an idiot. Keep the armchair psych evals to yourself, they aren't appreciated here.

Kate
Kate
5/11/2015 12:01:27 AM #

People will always have some kind of criticism.  But I must say, this is simple a blog in hopes someone else will be inspired to donate.  I'm more humbled by it all more than anything.  I didn't do this to be some kind of "medical hero". I was offered to tell my story and I accepted because I found it to be a window of opportunity.  You always hear stories about the rich and famous doing great things but nothing about "average joes" or our military.  Fortunately, we do live in a beautiful country that lets us speak our opinions.  But I would have to disagree with the way you are viewing the subject.  I'm not hero, I'm not a special person, I'm Kate.  An almost 21 year old middle class girl with a beautiful daughter and a Navy Veteran fiance.  I'm not doing this to impress anyone or really for anyone except Vincent. HE deserves a life.  HE deserves to sleep without a dialysis machine running. HE deserves a chance.  And HIS parents deserve a break and the relief that the cold he could catch won't be more than a typical cold.  That him getting sick isn't a tamper with life or death.  THEY all deserve to live a life without worry and health concerns.  Who said this was ever about ME? I'm just a narrator telling my side of the story.  I think it takes a narcissistic person to put down someone they know nothing about and have no clue about the way they choose to lead their life. Sincerely, Kidney Kate

Stephanie
Stephanie
5/9/2015 3:44:54 PM #

WOW, it truly blows my mind that someone could read her story and think she has narcissistic tendencies! She is giving part of her body to a little boy so that he can have a chance at having a healthy, wonderful life. What person could look at that little boy and not want to help him. Good for you Katie, having the courage to do this for Vincent! You are a great role model for your daughter.

Comments are closed

Copyright © 2004-2017 YourCity.MD LLC All Rights Reserved. The information on this Website is provided as a courtesy of YourCity.MD. This Website is designed as a resource portal for informational purposes only and does not contain any warranties. Reliance on any information found on or through this Website or links found on this Website is entirely at your own risk. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call 911 or your local Emergency number immediately. YourCity.MD and its affiliates are not responsible for the content found on any links contained herein and do not necessarily agree with any of their opinions. - View Full Terms & Conditions